Marseille is second largest city in France and oldest city on the Mediterranean coast, which located on France’s south coast near the mouth of the Rhône river
This city was originally founded circa 600 BC as the Greek colony of Massalia and populated by settlers from Phocaea.
Marseille is one of the best tourist destination in the world with pleasant weather, great cuisine, cultural centers and many tourist attractions.
Notre Dame de la Garde:
Notre Dame de Garde built in 1852, atop the signal hill of La Garde, on the south side of the Vieux Port that is the highest natural point in Marseille.
The architecture of this church designed by Neo-Byzantine. The interior is decorated with inlaid marble, mosaics, murals and many of the walls are covered with hundreds of ex-votos.
Old Port of Marseille:
Old port of Marseille is the major street in Marseille. This beautiful port is natural harbour of the city since antiquity and is now the main popular place in Marseille with it’s luxury hotels, coffee shops, seafood restaurants and also lots of white and small sailboats.
The Palais Longchamp was created to celebrate the construction of the Canal de Marseille, which was built to bring water from the Durance River to Marseille. Although the foundation stone was laid by the Duke of Orleans on 15 November 1839, the building took 30 years to complete, partly because of the enormous expense and partly because of difficulties with local regulations.
Museums of Marseille :
- Museum of Civilizations of Europe and the Mediterranean (The Musée des Civilisations de l’Europe et de la Méditerranée)
- Musée Regards de Provence
- Museum of Old Marseille (The Musée du Vieux Marseille)
- Museum of Roman Docks (Musée des Docks Romains)
- Marseille History Museum (Musée d’Histoire de Marseille)
- Musée Cantini (Museum of modern art)
- Grobet-Labadie Museum (Musée Grobet-Labadié)
- 19th-century Palais Longchamp (Its two wings house the Musée des beaux-arts de Marseille (a fine arts museum), and the Natural History Museum (Muséum d’histoire naturelle de Marseille))
- Château Borély
- Musée d’Art Contemporain de Marseille
- Marseille Regional Museum (Musée du Terroir Marseillais
Other tourist attractions in Marseille :
- Marseille Cathedral
- Château d’If
- Fort Saint-Jean
- La Vieille Charité
- Parc Borély
- Orne River